Winter is quickly approaching for residents in the Burlington, NC area. Prepare your home to reduce weather-related damage and heating costs.
- Shut off your yard’s automatic drip system. Drain the lines to prevent freezing and cracking.
- Insulate pipes that come in from the outside, as these can sustain damage from cold temperatures as well.
- Teach your family members how to shut off the main water source. Quick action can prevent serious damage from burst pipes.
- Seal up cracks around doors and windows to keep warm air inside. Weather stripping or caulk is easy to apply and can save you loads of money.
- Check your basement and attic. Cracks and thinning insulation can rob your house of heat and raise your monthly bills.
- Have your fireplace professionally inspected before lighting it for the first time. Dirty or blocked flues can trap toxic gases that make your family ill.
- Is your home covered for damage caused by winter conditions? Contact Don Allred Insurance to make sure your home insurance coverage is complete.
- Locate warranties for lawnmowers and other motorized equipment that will be stored outside of the home. You may need them if your items stop working due to cold damage.
- Bring garden hoses inside. Roll and store so they’re ready for spring.
- Wrap outside air conditioning units in thick plastic to keep them clean and mold and mildew-free.
- Prepare snow shovels, blowers, and other winter maintenance tools. Keep them in an easily accessible place.
Indoor Air Quality
- Get your HVAC system serviced. Technicians will clean or change the filters and clear the system of harmful bacteria build-up before it ends up in your air.
- Consider a humidifier to help combat respiratory issues from dry indoor air.
Need more ideas for prepping your family home for winter? Contact the insurance experts at Don Allred Insurance. We proudly serve the residents of Burlington, NC with insurance products and information to protect the things they love most.